Director of Research
African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) | Institutions-ONG
SRI Executive Search has been contracted by the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) to assist with the search for an exceptional candidate to fill the position of Director Research.
African Economic Research Consortium, established in 1988, is a premier capacity building and knowledge institution in the advancement of research and training to inform economic policies in sub-Saharan Africa. It is one of the most active Research and Capacity Building Institutions (RCBIs) in the world, with a focus on Africa.
The Director Research provides the overall intellectual leadership and guidance for the Research Programme and ensures that the AERC’s research agenda is of the highest quality and relevance to the economic and policy needs of Africa. In this respect, the Director must actively manage the capacity-building and research aspects of the Research programme.
The Director contributes to the development and implementation of the resource mobilisation strategy with reference to the Consortium’s Research programmes and collaborates with the Resource Mobilisation and Donor Relations Unit to ensure that donor monitoring and evaluation requirements are met. The Director is also responsible for ensuring all other reporting requirements for the Research activities. S/he is a member of the Senior Management Team and supports the Executive Director in promoting teamwork and collaboration, performance standards, and a value for money culture across the Secretariat.
PhD in Economics and a track record in economic research as well as experience in graduate teaching of economics in Africa
- At least 10 years relevant experience, in a research environment including management and teaching/research at university graduate level.
- Solid publication record in economic research in internationally recognised peer reviewed journals.
- International working experience in respected institutions or multi-layered think-tanks.
- Fundraising and resource mobilization for research programs.
- High level networking at national, regional and global levels.
- Project management experience.
- Experience in managing a professional team of researchers and senior researchers.
- Has clear understanding of the challenges facing economic research in Africa.
Key Skills and Competencies
- Strategic thinking, leadership and management skills
- Good financial management skills
- Good knowledge of information and communication technology and computerized management systems
- Well-organized and able to multi task and meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and negotiating skills including diplomacy
- Excellent people management skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent report writing skills
- Computer literacy including standard office applications such as MS Office packages Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Internet
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent judgment in analyzing data and information
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Good team player
- Ability and willingness to travel widely in Africa
- Ability to work in French would be an asset
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV and a supporting letter in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation Ms Many France Bautista at MBautista@sri-executive.com on or before January 25th, 2019. All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
Ladies are encouraged to apply to this competitive and rewarding position